Hello again! I am in Bartlesville, Oklahoma enjoying tornado season! Today we had a build day that was cut short because of a tornado threat – as in we could see the funnel cloud forming over our heads – and tomorrow has the possibility of another. Yippee! But in all seriousness, we are in are very dangerous area of the country right now for many reasons: poor roads, ridiculous drivers, and tornados to name a few. But that’s okay because we are being super safe!
To give an update from last blog, we have ridden A LOT in the last week. We rode to Little Rock, Arkansas and had a build day there. Then we rode 350 miles in 4 days between Little Rock and Bartlesville, Oklahoma. It was pretty intense. We rode a century – that I set a personal best time averaging 19.4 mph – and a bunch of other 70+ mile days through the Ozarks and fields of Oklahoma. Needless to say I am pretty beat right now!
Now we are building for two days in Bartlesville and then we will shoot across the Midwest and into the Rockies. I am so excited! I can’t wait to ride the Rockies!
1. The Ozarks: Arkansas’ state motto is the “natural state” because of the beautiful rivers and mountains throughout the state. While I partially disagree with this motto I do think the Ozarks are gorgeous. They were a great break from midwest winds and gave us something to look at while we climbed t hem. Sadly they only lasted one day!
2. Sadie Hawkins: we are having a dance tonight that is pirate themed and a Sadie Hawkins dance! Grace asked me and we are going as a scurvy swashbuckling pirate couple – arrrrrgh! The highlight is not the dance itself (because it hasn’t happened yet) but instead all the thrift store shopping! I have overstuffed my bin with ridiculous clothes. I even have pirate boots! I am so excited.
3. Food Changes: The South was very pork based and the Midwest is much more beef based. Not a huge changed but it has changed the fare enough that I am really enjoying hamburgers almost every night, which is new and excellent! Also, I haven’t been able to eat chicken in the last week because Tyson Chicken is in Arkansas and the entire state smells like chicken poop – yuck!
4. Bad Midwest Drivers: Drivers in the Midwest are the worst. No joke. We have had slushies thrown on us, cursed at, and have been pushed off roads multiple times. It is ridiculous! Drivers honestly believe that bikers should only drive on the shoulder of the road or the sidewalk. NEWS FLASH: We get three feet of the lane! So if you are driving and see a biker, be kind and slowly pass them.
5. Finally Uploading Pictures! I am uploading two whole albums to facebook today! Yah! Check them out.
Okay that is all! I love you all and am having a great time. I am sorry I cannot make it back to Grandpa’s Celebration of Life; I am really sad that I missing seeing the family and celebrating the life of an amazing man. I love you so much Grandpa!
Also, I am sad I don’t get to make fun of Nick for bringing a girlfriend to a family function. Please pick up my slack in joke making.
Live. Love. Ride.