Nags Head, NC to Belhaven NC
I am currently in Belhaven, NC and loving the 80 degree weather! So far we have riden from Nags Head to Swan Quarter (Which is 70 miles, but due to peat moss fires we only rode 45) and from Swan Quarter to Belhaven (which is 35 miles). The first few ride days have been fairly easy and I have enjoyed myself greatly! Our group, consisting of 33 members (18 males and 15 females), is a great group. We have a range of different riding levels from ironmen competitors to people who - let's just say - don't know how to shift gears on their bike. Sadly, I don't have a whole bunch of time to blog today so I will make a quick couple comments:
1. Southern cooking is amazing. Sweet tea, pineapple casserole, vinegar barbecue, pulled pork, and the seafood! Woooo-eeee! I am in heaven down here.
2. Seeing the South church by church is very interesting. I have sang gospels in one church and held hands in prayer in another. Each of the churches have one thing in common - they are full of good people who mean well. That underlying factor has made it easy to sit through the "Amens!" and "Hallelujahs!" for the past couple days.
3. Biking rocks. There is no better way to meet people and see the country.
4. Donation magic is where we shamelessly guilt people into giving us things because we are doing a nonprofit trip across the country. It is scary at first, but really does work! Free hot dogs after a 30 mile ride are great!
5. I am surprised how easy it is to A) sleep on a mat every night and B) wake up at 6 AM everyday. Maybe I should become a buddhist?
Okay, that is all for now... I am actually doing laundry for the whole group. I love you all and miss you! I am sorry for any grammar mistakes I didn't have to re-read this before posting.
live, love, bike.